STiR coffee and tea magazine

Volume 4, Number 2

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 18 of 83

STiR tea & coffee industry international 19 ed liquor'. Alcoholic drinks mixed with green tea are popular in Japan and often featured on restaurant and izakaya (Japanese bar) menus. Suntory's Maccha Kaoru Osake is designed to satisfy consumers' requests for a tea-based product to enjoy at home that removes the problem of mixing the correct quantity of different ingredients to make the perfect drink. Maccha Kaoru Osake contains high-quality Japanese green tea blended with matcha powder. Learn more: same 11-month period of 2013. This has meant cheaper Kenyan teas. Output in other East African countries, such as Malawi and Tanzania, has also gone up in recent years, making African teas in general less expensive. But if Kenya's current dry spell continues through to April, production is expected to fall and prices will rise again. In January this year, Kenya teas had gone up from averages of $2.5 (Rs 155) per kg in 2014 to $4 per kg. While the dry weather conditions are bad news for East Africa, they may be good news for other producing regions of the world, and in particular for Indian growers, whose teas have been more expensive and therefore less competitive in world markets. Tea exports from India from April to November 2014 dropped by 10.43% on the previous year to 126.28 KENYA Dry Weather Reduces Crop Unusually dry weather in Kenya is having a negative effect on the country's tea production and has pushed up the price of Kenya teas by 60%. The country's total output has been rising recently and total production of 370 million kg ( in 2012 increased to a record crop of 432.5 in 2013. And, between January and November 2014, total production reached 400, compared with the in the MALAWI Tea Production Rising While Kenya, Uganda, and northern Tanzania have seen production drop recently due to persistent dry weather, production in Malawi has been speeding up with the start of the rainy season. The season did not get off to a promising start but since the beginning of January, the weather is being kinder with continu- ing rains and warm sunshine and the country has produced some well-made teas that have fetched higher prices. About 80% of Malawi teas are harvested during the warm, wet months and the remaining 20% during the dryer period when the plants flush more slowly. The record figure for Malawi's black tea production is 52 million kg per year. MALAYSIA 3D Teabag Portrait Using 20,000 teabags, Malaysian artist Red Hong Yi has created a 3D image of a tea brewer making Malaysian 'Teh

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of STiR coffee and tea magazine - Volume 4, Number 2