CED

April 2015

Issue link: http://read.dmtmag.com/i/489019

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 33 of 59

GILES LAMBERTSON is a retired journalist and freelance writer whose interest in the construction industry goes back to his carpentry days. He can be reached at gparkerel@gmail.com I was so focused on growth and productivity and margins that I lost my way. We did not have a clear set of values. Essentially, our problem started with me. I was the problem. So I reached out to some other companies for help, formed an executive team of 14 people who met eight days in the course of a year, concentrating solely on us as leaders, our values. en we began to take it to the company. I had known we had a problem because my team was dysfunctional. We were setting amazing financial records, but when I looked at how the team interacted and how it didn't work with a lot of alignment, I knew we had more potential in us. What I didn't realize was that it was me, that it was a result of my behavior. You can look at any organization and see that everything starts with the president and top executives. Whatever is wrong with an organization, at the top is where it starts. CED: Luck Quarries developed fully automated, unattended crushing plants in 1977. Looking ahead, how will technology change the industry in the next decade or so? Luck: Our industry from a tech- nological standpoint did not change a whole lot in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, but considering where we are today, I think we are going to see an acceleration of change. e use of new technology is globally accelerating and changing the world we live in, moving at a faster and faster pace. e millen- nials are going to be a great generation and accelerate this even faster. ere will be things in use in the industry relatively soon that we don't even know about today. n ("Road to Reason, Path to Potential" continued from page 31) >> CUSTOMER CONNECTION 32 | www.cedmag.com | Construction Equipment Distribution | April 2015 MORE EQUIPMENT. BRANDS. MARKETS. woodsequipment.com 800-848-3447 Call or visit us online to learn how you can become a Woods dealer. WAIN-ROY ® Tractor Loader Backhoe and Excavator CENTRAL FABRICATORS ® Large Excavator, Mining/Mass Excavation and Wheel Loader GANNON ® Compact Excavator and Tractor Loader Backhoe ALITEC ™ Skid Steer

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of CED - April 2015