CED

February 2015

Issue link: http://read.dmtmag.com/i/462847

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 35 of 60

February 2015 | Construction Equipment Distribution | www.cedmag.com | 33 as supporting manufacturing has been another boon. Coal, too, has been an economic staple for the state for 60 years, Shilling adds. Four mines yield cheap, low- grade lignite coal, which is exported to Great River Energy in Minneapolis and to Montana Dakota Utilities, as well. Narrow Escape Shilling loves the equipment business and wouldn't trade it for anything, but he almost missed out on all the fun. As a college student at North Dakota State University, the young Don Shilling was working on a bachelor's degree in Political Science with the intent on going to law school. Luckily, one day his dad asked him to help return some water pump parts over to General Diesel, the company whose liquidated assets Shilling eventually purchased to form GES. "My dad struck up a conversation with one of the owners and asked if they were looking for someone to help out," Shilling recalled. Next thing you know, he was their next wash bay laborer – and first day on the job he helped hook up a Hotsy Steam Cleaner and was asked to drive a Terex TS24 scraper into the bay and clean it. "e work was wet and a little dirty, but for some strange reason I loved. I was starting at the ground floor of my life's career and didn't even know it!" Introducing the Carbide Cutter G3 THREE GENERATIONS OF CUTTING EDGE INNOVATION THE NEXT GENERATION With field-proven rugged durability, the refined and balanced design of the Carbide Cutter G3 has made it the "gold standard" in the vegetation management industry. With the newest generation, Loftness has incorporated the latest power drive systems and cutting tooth technologies. Visit the Loftness Vegetation Management Equipment website to learn more and experience the Carbide Cutter G3 from every angle. www.vm-logix.com LEARN MORE Loftness Specialized Equipment Toll Free US & Canada: 800-828-7624 International 320-848-6266 email: info@loftness.com www.loftness.com P.O. Box 337 Hector, Minnesota 55342 USA Scan this code to learn about Loftness VMLogix Systems agricultural, vegetation and snow removal solutions at www.loftness.com WWW.LOFTNESS.COM WWW.VM-LOGIX.COM Loftness has engineered a line of carbide-tipped and heat-treated steel teeth specifically for the G3. See page 8 for details. Standard Carbide Planer Carbide Quadco Planer Blade >> COVER STORY 2015 AED CHAIRMAN Shilling's partner, Jerry Kern, is vice presi- dent of GES. The two bought out a third, older partner, Orvis Stockstad, in 2000. The three men formed General Equipment & Supplies in 1984 after purchasing the liquidated assets of General Diesel, a former AED member distributorship.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of CED - February 2015