CED

February 2015

Issue link: http://read.dmtmag.com/i/462847

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 47 of 60

February 2015 | Construction Equipment Distribution | www.cedmag.com | 45 Poulson says the culture at Faris Equipment is such that everyone acts like an owner. "In Grand Junction, we are a group of self-directed individuals who thrive on each other's performance," he said. "!ere is never a need for a push from behind." Poulson feels fortunate to work with a branch manager who has been with the company 30 years, as well as five others. "We've proven our performance and profitability," said Poulson. Managing Through The Great Recession As a company, Faris Machinery has an incredible track record, with only one down year in 62 years in business. Poulson recalled the year !e Great Recession hit the dealership – it was 2009. "!at was a huge wake-up call to me as a business person," said Poulson. "It was the first cycle that I was part of and it is going to be with me for a while. I am sure it will only increase my conservative nature throughout my business life." Despite the challenges, Poulson believes successful manage- ment of his sales territory through the recession was one of his biggest accomplishments to date. "!ere was a huge shake out. It was a year of going out and hearing sob stories," he said. "It was far more difficult than rejection." Mixing It Up Poulson credits the dealership's diversification into the munici- pal markets for keeping them going during the recession. !ey also continued to pursue additional opportunities. In 2011 and 2012, Faris acquired Boyle Equipment and Foster Equipment, extending the company's offerings to the environ- mental and concrete industries. !e Boyle acquisition provided them with an opportunity to sell high-quality sewer cleaners and vacuum excavation equipment. !rough the Foster acqui- sition they became an authorized dealer of Gomaco and other concrete products. Today, the company's diverse customer base includes the solid waste, asphalt, concrete, oil & gas, and the municipal sectors. Poulson's involvement in management decisions continues to grow. At some point, he knows he'll have to leave the spectacular scenery and blue skies of Western Colorado for the company's headquarters in Denver. One of the ways he's preparing himself for the changes ahead is by taking advan- tage of education opportunities such as the AED Leadership Academy. "I really value what AED brings to the table in terms of that kind of education and networking event," said Poulson. "AED membership sets us apart as a dealer." While Poulson knew long ago that he would eventually become an owner in the company, he was somewhat surprised at the impact the announcement made on the Faris team. "People seem relieved because they understand what the future of the company looks like, in terms of a leader," said Poulson. "I didn't really understand how that would affect people." With a leader who says what he will do, does what he says, and follows through, the future looks bright for Faris Machinery. JOANNE COSTIN (jcostin@costincustom.com) is a freelance writer and marketing consultant focusing on the construction industry. She can be reached at (847) 340-4075. ERIC POULSON Sales Representative Faris Machinery Age: 38 Years in Equipment Industry: 9 ABOUT FARIS MACHINERY Locations: Denver, Grand Junction, and Colorado Springs, Colo. Years in Business: 63 Number of Employees: 45 Ownership Structure: Family-Owned Brands Represented: Carlson, Doosan, Elgin, Etnyre, Gehl, Gomaco, Gorman Rupp Pumps, Grad- all, Midland Machinery, Minnich, Palfinger, Superior Broom, Vactor, Volvo (Paving), Wacker Neuson

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of CED - February 2015