CED

December 2014

Issue link: http://read.dmtmag.com/i/425123

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 57 of 75

56 | www.cedmag.com | Construction Equipment Distribution | December 2014 A Closer Look As the corporate manager in charge of training and safety for Arizona's Road Machinery LLC, Augie Sacadat often made it a point to stop in and visit with the folks involved in Central Arizona College's Diesel and Heavy Equipment program. He offered them training materials and insight and visited with Garrett Hurt, the professor of the program. Soon, the conversation turned to Hurt's desire to see his program accredited by AED, and Sacadat, a volunteer with AED Foundation Technical Standards Task Force, was glad to help. But it wasn't easy, he recalled. "It was difficult for them because they are a smaller college and don't have a lot of financial assistance," said Sacadat, now the senior technical communicator for Kirby- Smith Machinery in Oklahoma City. "It was hard for them to meet all the requirements. But two years ago, the small college was able to achieve all the rigorous standards and earn the accreditation. For Sacadat, it was one of those light bulb moments: "'Yep, this is why we do this.' I really felt proud of them that they were able to do that," said Sacadat, who has worked with the Foundation for more than a dozen years. "Getting certified is an accomplishment. It elevates his program. Instead of being a common, ordinary diesel program this is a program certified by AED. It's not easy to obtain." But it is well worth it. Just ask Garrett Hurt. "We became accredited in the fall of 2012 and since then my enrollment is up 75 percent," Hurt said. And while those numbers are certainly welcome, the relationship with AED is about far more than a head count, he said. "The AED has been a godsend to our program and any diesel program," Hurt said. "Their mission in life … is to get schools accredited. It is awesome. The AED effort has a whole-hearted genuine interest in making programs better. The people I work with, the people who volunteer their time to look at our programs, they have taken our program here at CAC and moved it to the next level. They come here and say, 'How can we help you?'" In a nutshell, that's what it's always been about. Foundation's Work – and Volunteers – Are The Real Deal Real people with real jobs and lives sacrifice their time and talent for The AED Foundation's workforce programs. Result: More technicians are entering the heavy equipment field, and they will be job-ready for the real dealer world of equipment repair. BY LORI TOBIAS A lab lesson is in progress at State University of New York at Cobbleskill, during an ETL visit that resulted in the school's AED-reaccreditation. The Foundation's Annual Campaign for 2015 supports the powerful work that benefits the industry and your company. Currently one-third of the $300,000 goal is met – please pledge generously to keep the work going! Call Rebecca Lintow, (630) 468-5113.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of CED - December 2014